Saturday, February 8, 2014

Let's Talk About Beer

Over the past few months I have been getting more into craft beer, especially dark ones. I just no longer have a desire to drink the beer flavored substances produced by Budweiser and MillerCoors. Here's a look at a the most recent six I have tried, ranked from least enjoyed to most enjoyed.

6. Heavy Seas Winter Storm Category 5 Ale -- Something about this one did not sit well with me. It left a bad after taste and was not smooth at all going down. Next time I won't choose a beer simply because there is a pirate on the label.

5. Breckenridge Vanilla Porter -- This one wasn't awful, I'd drink it again most likely. It just had a sweetness to it making it difficult to want more than one or two. It has a lower alcohol content than most craft beers at 4.7% so if you do indulge in a few, you should be OK.

4. Schlafly Coffee Stout -- I am really digging the coffee stouts and porters. This one was really good and if it were not for the other amazing beers I happened to select as part of this round of tasting, it would have been higher on the list. You can smell the coffee when you pour this beer. It's like the best of both worlds.

3. Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout -- I was told this is the grandfather of imperial stouts. I was told correctly. This craft has a bite to it, but it is dark, aromatic and strong -- it comes with an alcohol content of 9%. If you want a classic, go for this one.

2. Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter -- This is one of the best beers I have ever had. Not only is it beautiful to look at, it is very smooth and it will kick your ass with its 9.2% alcohol content. Definitely try this one if you have the chance.

1. Innis & Gunn Scottish Porter with Molasses - This beer blew my mind. I didn't know what to expect with the molasses, but it worked. It's not as dark as many other porters, but it is smooth and delicious. The alcohol content on it is 7.4% and with the beer's smooth taste, that could catch up to you quick if you aren't careful. This is a must try if you can get your hands on it.


That is round one of my craft beer tasting. Every payday for the next couple months I am going to head to my local mix-and-match place and create six packs of craft beers (but don't expect many IPA's), and share my thoughts with all of you. Until next time, life is too short to drink shitty beer. So get the good stuff.

Have a great weekend.


www.facebook.com/jtlovecraft

No comments:

Post a Comment